Thursday, July 31, 2008

What to do next?


So my son is off to kindergarten soon and my daughter is just a few years away...Though I am still certified to teach I wonder if I really ever go back? I did enjoy teaching, I just didn't always enjoy the students at the high school level (or the pay). I've been told I'd be better with the younger ones- and I do think I'd enjoy it more...but it's not as flexible as I'd like and I still want to stay active in the lives of my children. I want to be able to be in their classrooms on occasion and go have lunch with them too. So, I'm considering a few things...for a long time I've been told I should go into interior design. I've always enjoyed painting and decorating my own home(s) and I've done some work in other homes too. I've painted and designed a bathroom for my in-laws, I've painted and designed a living area and bedroom for my friend, I've sat with some friends and have gone over some plans for updating, painting and decorating their living room, and I've done some staging in one of our investment properties. While I've enjoyed all of it, I've wondered if it is more of just an occasional hobby for me rather than a full-time job. Recently, I've become more interested in photography. I've always enjoyed keeping photos and since having kids it seems I've had more than enough downloaded on my computer. I've noticed that I really don't like going anywhere without my camera (always worried I'm going to miss something). I feel a little uncomfortable without my camera, much like forgetting to bring your cell phone with you when you leave the house. So, this is another interest I'm considering. The last thing I've always considered is being a stylist. I enjoy fashion and hair, make-up, etc...Now I just need to figure-out which path to go down and how to get it done. One good thing is that once both my kids are off to school and as long as I do what's necessary to keep my teaching license I can always substitute teach until I figure things out. Best of all is that I feel like my education in teaching and my experience in teaching has also helped to make me a better Mom...which is my #1 most important job of all!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way cool!!! I just figured out how to read the blog! Love, Dad